Christ Church (Shimla)
Christ Church, Shimla, is the second oldest church in North India, after St John's Church in Meerut. It is a parish in the Diocese of Amritsar in the Church of North India. Its current incumbent is The Rev. Mushtaq Achher Malk, B.D., M.Th., whose ecclesiastical designation is presbyter-in-charge. Worship is conducted in Hindi and English.
Built in the neo-Gothic style in 1857 to serve the largely Anglican British community erstwhile called as Simla, Christ Church is situated on The Ridge where it determines as one of the prominent monuments of Shimla. The silhouette of Christ Church is conspicuous for miles around the vicinity of Shimla city. Christ Church remnants one of the enduring legacies of the British Raj.
Christ Church was designed by Colonel J. T. Boileau in 1844, and the church was consecrated after 1857. The clock adorning Christ Church was donated by Colonel Dumbleton in 1860. The porch was added in 1873.
Christ Church has sustained apportion and the consecutive political upheavals in the Indian subcontinent. Christ Church continues to be very well preserved and reminants in good status. The clock, nonetheless, no longer functions - due to entropy.
The church contains five fine stained glass windows. One represents the Christian virtues of Faith, Hope, Charity, Fortitude, Patience and Humility. The Pipe-Organ of Christ Church is the biggest in the Indian subcontinent and was erected in September 1899.
St. John in the Wilderness
St. John in the Wilderness is an Anglican church dedicated to John the Baptist built in 1852, located near Dharamshala, India, on the way to McLeodGanj, at Forsyth Gunj. Set amidst deodar forest, and built in neo-Gothic architecture, the church is signified for its Belgian stained-glass windows donated by Lady Elgin (Mary Louisa Lambton), wife of Lord Elgin. Its churchyard is the final resting place of Lord Elgin, who served as Governor General of the Province of Canada, who oversaw the Creation of Responsible Government in Canada, and later, while in China, controlled the overview destruction of the Old Summer Palace. He became Governor-General & Viceroy of India in 1861 during the British Raj, though he expired early,at Dharamshala on November 20, 1863, and further funeral process were carried out here itself.